Saturday, October 15, 2011

seperation

I was not here for the separation lab. One day I had a Cross Country meet and the next I was in the other room muttering expletives with a splitting migraine. I can however describe to you what my classmates did. I give all credit to Leigh and Timmy for somewhat describing what happened. And I can describe each separation techniques.

Separation of different matters are done by several different techniques. Such as Distillation,
Sublimation, Evaporation, and Filtration.
Different Techniques used:

Distillation: Is based off of the boiling points of two different liquids. Liquid A has a high boiling point compared to liquid B and thus liquid b is boiled completely out of liquid A thus leaving liquid A as just Liquid A in a pure form as it had its impurities boiled out of it.  Distilled water found in the back of Mr. Ludwig's room is a good example.

Sublimation: Process of a solid turning into a gas, without passing through a liquid phase. My best example I can actually use for I have seen in a part of New Mexico. It was so hot there, that once my uncle gave me a Popsicle, I forgot about it, and it was gone. There was no liquid stains or anything. Kinda creepy for my 7 year old mind.


Evaporation: Well this is a common one. We see this all the time in the state of Colorado. This is the state of a liquid transforming into a gas due to heat. During the summer, if you're going to a lake or the pool you can see the gas waves the water is creating hovering over the body of water, due to the top layer of water being evaporated due to the extreme heat.

Filtration: This reminds me of a coffee maker. You place the coffee filter with the ground coffee beans and pour the water in. During the system the water creates the coffee by passing over the ground coffee beans. But the grind stays put because it is too big to pass through he filter. Yet all filters are not the same. Some allow particles to pass through. Just depends on the pore size of the filter. 

I did a experiment once with Filtration with a coffee maker (it was actually a horrible joke on a friend) I placed lemon rind in with the coffee beans and let it make the coffee. The rind and the beans stayed in the filter but the flavor particles passed through. Thus making a effectively  good example (horrible joke) of filtration.


No comments:

Post a Comment