Tuesday, May 15, 2012
Crystal lab
During the crystal lab (which I was really looking forward to) I completely messed up my crystal. In fact it is still in a small beaker which is in a larger beaker which is still trying to dissolve. STILL! I guess I put too much aluminum potassium sulfate 12-hydrate crystal (AKA: Baker analyzed Reagent) into it.
The premisis for this experiment was to make some crystals on a string. We add about (actually i added two things of salt) and stirred till most of the salt or all of it was dissovled in the water. Then I added even more "salt" , as I call it and stirred it, this time resulting in a little being left in the bottom of the beaker. I left it over night and returned the next class period to find that i had no seed crystals what so ever! (I told you this was a frustrating experiment.) So I added more "salt" within the first mixture i had created under a high heat and then left it alone. It failed yet again.
So i asked for someone else's crystal, going for the experiment, to see if we can see a colored seed crystal on the outside of the clear crystal mine was SUPPOSED to form. Yet again a fail. As you can tell from the picture above, my crystal grew too big and was a sold white color, not clear. Which led me to the conclusion that I put too much salt into my beaker. Over all my experiment failed. Yet the other experiments were great. We had several crystals that turned out in beautiful square crystals and deep colors. I learned that you had to have a stopping point, even if it is a experiment and that you want to go all out.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment